Peer Mentor Presents: Bullet Journaling: College Student Hack to Organization and Relaxation (written by students for students)

 

Thank you to Jasmine Murillo for sharing today's Peer Mentor Presents with us. Read below for great tips and strategies to excel in school! Peer Mentor Presents:

Bullet Journaling: College Student Hack to Organization and Relaxation

     College is one of the busiest times of our lives – from internships, first-time employments, full-time student course loads, all stacked on top of unavoidable life events. These 4 eventful years make it extremely easy for individuals to fall victim to stress, forgetfulness, and anxiety. According to the ADAA, 80% of college students say they often feel stress throughout their college career due to the fast pace of the college lifestyle.

     However, as a recent graduate of UCR, I feel as though I have cracked the code to minimizing stress and balancing school with personal life – all while having fun. I began bullet journaling my 2nd year of college, amidst my major transition from Biochemistry to Psychology. With such a major life change taking place, I was distressed about my ability to keep up with school, life, and work. THAT’S WHERE A COLLEGE BULLET JOURNAL CAME IN HANDY. It provided me with a place to jot down my ideas, stay organized, remember important days/information (such as deadlines and course requirements for my change of major), with my own personal style integrated. Work and play in one!

     If you are not particularly well-versed in stationery social media, you’ve probably missed the endless posts of bullet journals – the leading trend of DIY planners. A bullet journal is best explained as a very personalized planner with the combination of organization and drawing/coloring. Bullet journals vary from one owner to another, differing in layouts, planning schemes, lists, diary segments, and artistry content. My favorite element of bullet journaling is being able to reflect on past spreads and see how each theme represented a specific time period in my life; this allows me to see how much I’ve learned, grown, and accomplished since. I’ve found that using my bullet journal is the perfect solution that has provided me with a creative outlet and a method to stay organized.

     If I haven’t convinced you to try bullet journaling just yet, here is a of a few perks associated with it: 

1)           Helps you become and stay organized: One could argue that a store-bought planner or phone application could suffice. However, I found that I could never rely on these materials alone to organize my life. I was always longing for a pack of sticky notes to write down a to-do list, a notebook to write daily prompts or jot down important course requirements, and a sketchbook to draw in. Eventually, I was carrying around unnecessary notebooks to and from class, never remember where I wrote what. During midterms and finals, my life was a mess trying to keep track of everything. However, a bullet journal has allowed me to combine everything into one, giving me the freedom to incorporate what I need and make it aesthetically pleasing.

2)           Amplifies Creativity: I am no artist – except when I bullet journal. Bullet journaling gave me a creative outlet (I didn’t know I needed). Thus, providing me a stress-free avenue to be artistic while remaining private. It became a space where everything was designed to my liking and held no standards/expectation. I could move from an elaborate to simple spreads with a turn of a page, only worrying about its convenience to me and my lifestyle.

3)   Reduces Stress: In college, I spent a majority of my day stressed about the next upcoming event, test, essay, etc. I faced the pressure of feeling like I needed to strictly use my time on things that mattered – studying, reading, catching up, or getting ahead. Rarely, could I sit down and do something that relieved stress without feeling extreme guilt. By bullet journaling in my spare time, I could combat these feelings. Even by drawing, my time is not being wasted as I work on something productive that benefits me.

4)           Motivator: For someone who often beats themselves up for not reaching “perfection”, it was a powerful realization that I could motivate and support myself in various aspects of my life simply by writing it in a notebook. Bullet journaling has changed the way I see myself as a student and person. It has given me a place, where I can go back and see how much I’ve accomplished and how much I can continue to accomplish. It puts everything into perspective and visually shows me how minor changes in the road have aided me in getting to where I am today. 

All that said, here is how to get started on your bullet journaling adventures:

·       Gather your materials: All you need is a notebook, pens, and markers. If you are feeling fancy, feel free to purchase some stickers and washi tape.

·       Syllabus: If you are a student, it’s a good idea to gather your syllabus to incorporate deadlines and professor’s information.

·       Find inspiration: The internet is your best friend. I utilize YouTube, Pinterest, and Google to find layouts I could use.

·       Good playlist: Spotify, YouTube, or Apple Music to assist you in your relaxation and creative flow.